Skip to main content

First Infusion and a Long Day at Huntsman

So what a day yesterday!!!  The infusion was suppose to start at 8 am.  We were told to get there early so Nicole and I arrived at 7:30 pm.  We were sent to the lab to get blood drawn and an IV put in for the infusion.  The lab tech tried twice to start an IV in my left arm.  I asked for the left arm because last time I got an IV in my right arm in really hurt when it was left in all day.  The lab tech, Julie, asked the Charge Nurse, Stephanie, to start the IV.  Stephanie was able to start the IV in my right hand.  Luckily, it did not hurt and was fine all day.

Nicole and I went back to the Clinic to meet with the doctor to get the final "GO AHEAD" for the infusion.  We were told that Dr. Grossman was suppose to be in a meeting so we would be seen by his Nurse Practioner, Julie, and then Dr. Grossman would see me right before the infusion would start.  It took some time for Julie to make it to our room.  When she came in, she began to talk to me about what would happen with infusion and answer any questions.  Julie then started a quick examination.  Just as the examination started, Dr. Grossman walked in.  Dr. Grossman said "Hi" and made small talk and then just sat quietly for a moment.  Nicole and I could both tell he was acting a bit strange and seemed to have something more to say.  Dr. Grossman then asked, "Did anyone discuss your scans with you?"  I said "No."  Dr. Grossman sighed and said, "They found a spot on your liver during your last CT scan.  I looked at your scan in February and could see it on that scan.  It hasn't changed.  It is most likely a hemangioma (Liver hemangioma (he-man-jee-O-muh) is a noncancerous (benign) mass that occurs in the liver.).  I am not worried about it but the radiologist will not clear it so we can't start the infusion until we have it cleared." 

Dr. Grossman then went on to explain that I would need a MRI before we could start.  Dr. Grossman was a bit frustrated.  Dr. Grossman said he would have Chris, the Clinical Trial Coordinator, arrange the MRI.  Dr. Grossman said he hoped we could get the MRI done and still begin the treatment.  Dr. Grossman said it was possible we would have to get the MRI and then wait until Friday to start the infusion.  Nicole and I went back out to the waiting area until Chris told us what was happening.

Chris came out a few minutes later and was very apologetic.  Chris said he was able to schedule the MRI at 2 pm and we could start the infusion at 3 pm.  We said that was fine because we had a doctor's appointment with Dr. Noyes at 2 pm so we would try and flip the appointment.  We called Dr. Noyes office and they said we could come down and, even though we may have to wait, they would attempt to get me in as soon as possible. 

At this point, I had not had anything to eat.  Nicole and I decided to go to the cafeteria at IMC, which is where Dr. Noyes has his office.  I was about half way through my hamburger and fries when Chris called me.  Chris said he was calling to confirm that the MRI was scheduled.  Chris then said that Radiology informed him that I had to be fasting for the MRI.  I told Chris ok I would just have to stop eating my lunch. 

We then went over and were able to see Dr. Noyes.  One thing that I have learned, and that Nicole is a PROFESSIONAL with, is bringing a simple trip to the doctor's office.  I have learned this really makes a difference when they go out of there way to make allowances for you.  We took them Kettle Corn and Chocolate-covered Pretzels.  ( I have also learned that you can never go wrong with chocolate when it comes to nurses.) 

We then headed back to Huntsman.  Chris had said that it would be a good idea to be there 20-30 minutes early so we could get paperwork done and get in there a quick as possible.  We arrived about 30 minutes early, filled out paperwork, and they got us right in.  I did find that the liver MRI was one of the toughest scans I have done.  You have to hold your breath for nearly every scan.  Though it is only a few seconds each time, it doesn't allow you to relax.  I was able to breath normally through one of the scans.  I was tired and fell asleep for a few seconds.  I learned that made the scan take longer. 

We got through the scan and arrived at the infusion center right at 3 pm.  They were expecting me and checked me in.  Chris came running in and told them to wait until the scan was read.  Chris said he would call the "Reading Room" and get them to read the scan as soon as possible.  We were waiting and waiting.  Lori, the nurse in the Infusion Center, came out at one point and told me that I could wait out in the waiting room or back in the infusion room.  I decided, because I was working on a puzzle, that I would wait in the waiting area.  Chris finally came back and said everything was fine and we could start the infusion. 

Lori then came out and said it would take some time to get the medicine mixed and then it would be ready for infusion.  This was the first time I heard the infusion called chemotherapy.  I noticed, once in the infusion center, that the IV bag also said chemo.  I realized this was serious but also realized that it was different from chemo, especially the side effects!!!

Lori explained the procedure.  Lori said the infusion would take 90 minutes.  Lori started the infusion and then went and printed some information about the medicine.  It is called Ipilimumab.  Ipilimumab (also known as MDX-010 or MDX-101) is a human monoclonal antibody intended to be used as a drug to activate the immune system. Ipilimumab is undergoing clinical trials for the treatment of melanoma.  Ipilimumab results in a one-year survival rate of 47% to 51% for people with stage III or IV melanoma, which is almost double the average.  Unlike chemotherapy, in which side effects become evident soon after beginning treatment, the side effects associated with ipilimumab can vary greatly, presumably because the human immune system varies from person to person. The most common side effects of ipilimumab occur in the gastrointestinal tract (such as diarrhea and inflammation of the colon) and the skin (such as rash and inflammation of the skin). Less frequently occurring side effects include hepatitis, inflammation of the pituitary gland (hypophysitis), eye inflammation (uveitis), and kidney problems (nephritis). Side effects occur in up to 84% of patients but are generally mild and treatable.  Julie, the Nurse Practioner, said that if we did get the drug, we probably would not experience side effects, if any, about 2 weeks from the infusion.

Lori told us that the infusion would take 90 minutes and then they would monitor my vital signs for an hour after the infusion.  The infusion started about 5 pm and we finally left Huntsman about 7:30 pm.  12 hours at Huntsman!!! I love the place but that was a little long!!!

I still had not eaten.  Nicole and I went to Red Robin, which was very near Huntsman, and I finally was able to eat.  We got home about 9 pm.  Luckily my daughters, Mariah and Allyson, were great and took care of the younger girls.  Those two have been very good through this entire experience.

I did feel a little sore before going to bed.  I woke up with a sore throat and a running nose.  I think that is most likely from this freakish Utah weather!!!

My loving wife, Nicole, bought me a book that I could read at Huntsman.  I asked her to get me Chad Lewis's book "Surround Yourself with Greatness."  I read several chapters while at Huntsman.  It is a very good book.  Nicole went to high school with Chad.  This morning, the day after the infusion, Chad was speaking at a morningside for the Orem High Seminary at our Stake Center.  Nicole, who was as tired as myself, woke up early and went to the morningside.  Nicole spoke with Chad and had him sign my book.  What an awesome wife!!!  To top it off, she called me as I was dropping off the girls at school and told me to stop by the church and say "hi" to Chad.  I was able to get there in time and say "hi" to Chad.  I met Chad once before at Nicole's 20 year high school reunion.  Chad was awesome and it was great to speak to him for a few minutes.

All in all, it is nice to get started and feel like I am doing something to prevent the disease from coming back or to catch it early if it comes back!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When People Think You Are Dying

I received an interesting email from a friend this week.  It said he had heard I had relapsed and he wanted to get together and go to lunch.  I was really appreciative of the invitation but started to wonder why he thought I had relapsed.  I spoke with this friend who told me that he heard through someone else that I was "terminal" and that I only had a few months to live.  He also told me that this message had been received by many in an announcement made at a meeting.  I was a little shocked!  First that someone heard I was dying and second that I mattered enough to have it announced!  I assured my friend that I was doing just fine and that I was not "dying".  I told him that I had no new re-occurrence of melanoma and that my treatments were going just fine.  This made me start to think about life in general and how we communicate! In regards to communication, I learned how this information was obtained.  It was taken out of context by another friend.  It is ama

What We're Doing at Home

We have been really busy since our Christmas present trip to Disneyland!   We had planned to remodel the kitchen prior to the trip but ut it off until after the trip. My brother, Justin and I took a week off work to get at much done as possible.   We got most of the demolition done and framing in that week.  We have been working the last two weeks after work to finish all the detail work. We are currently waiting for the cabinets to be installed so we can install appliances and use the kitchen once again! It's been a tough job but very fulfilling.   My brother Justin has been a great help!  Thanks Justin!

Tired and stomach bothering me a little

So,  Nicole and I are in the middle of remodeling the house.  I go to work all day and come home and do work on the house to get ahead of the remodelers.  All weekend it is nothing but working on the house.  We are getting down to the end but we are also getting to the hardest part of the job.  The girls were gone all week and that made it nice with the house being torn apart.  Now that they are back, we have no rooms done for them.  We are all staying in our bedroom downstairs.  We put one bed in the room for the girls.  Problem is, that is the next room to get done.  We won't get carpet, most likely, until next week, so we are trying to figure out what to do.  My sister, Kim, offered her trailer and my brother, Justin, would most likely let us come stay at his house for a couple of days.  What to do!  What to do! Lately, probably from not stopping, I have gotten tired real easy.  I am used to pushing myself and working to exhaustion, but that simply isn't going to happen ri