Skip to main content

Second Infusion, Boy was I tired after this infusion!

On Wednesday I went to Huntsman for my second infusion.   Nicole and I took my two oldest daughters, Mariah and Ally, with us because they had not been to the hospital.  We went a little early so we could have lunch.  My brother's wife, Staci, ended up having her little baby girl Wednesday morning so we also fit in a trip to the hospital to see both of them as well.

We decided, do to the time, to eat at the hospital.  There is a small bistro upstairs at Huntsman but there is also a full restaurant as well.  It was nice to have some choices as to what to eat and the view from the restraurant is incredible!  You can see the whole city and valley.  Wednesday was really stormy as well so you could watch the dark clouds roll across the valley as well.

We checked in and went to the lab.  They drew the blood samples and started the IV.  This time they had no problems starting the IV until they went to flush it the final time.  The nurse tried to push the saline but it would not go in through the IV.  She checked the IV and it was working.  Finally, the nurse removed the saline syringe and found it was not working!!!  She got a second syringe and it worked just find.

I then went down to see Dr. Grossman.  The visit was great and Dr. Grossman said I was doing just fine.  He asked me a lot of different questions about how I have felt, he checked my skin, and then said he was waiting for the lab results so we could start the infusion.  Just before leaving, Chris, the clinical representative, reminded us about a doctor visit about a week earlier.  Both Nicole and I had forgotten that I had gotten broncitis!!! 

Part of the reason we forgot was because we have been remodeling our house.  We have both worked non-stop both at work and then at home with the remodel. We simply have been sooo busy we just plain forgot!!! (More on the remodel later.)

We went down to check-in for the infusion.  Just prior to going in, Chris came down and said my testosterone levels were down and the doctor wanted another blood sample.  I figured it was no big deal especially with the IV still in.  Problem:  the nurse could not an acceptable blood sample from the IV!!!  The nurse could not figure out why.  They were about ready to have to use a syringe to get the blood when they decided they could use a prior sample to do the test that was requested.   I had a BIG smile because I really didn't want to get poked again!!!

The infusion went really good.  We did start about an hour and half late but it went really good.  Genial made me a blanket I could use during the infusion.  How fun was it to wear a BYU blanket on Uof U campus?!!!    I met a gentleman and his wife from Farr West.  The gentleman was getting an infusion that took FOREVER!!!  I thought 90 minutes was a long time!!!  It was nothing compared to his.  He told me he does that once a week!!! 

It is amazing to me how people that sick can talk and get along so well.  I think it is because when you are really sick, relationship's matter!!! I know I am no longer afraid to speak to people because life is suddenly too short to care what people might think or that I may never see this person again so why bother!!! 

After the infusion, I was sooo tired!!! I drove from the hospital to Red Robin so we could all eat.  Nicole looked at me and said maybe it was a good idea that she drove home.  I agreed and almost immediately I fell asleep until we got home!!!  This may have been due to the infusion but Wednesday was the first day in three weeks that I had not worked and did remodeling.  It may have been a combination of both that made me sooo tired!!!

I have also been very grateful for all the support and assistance I have received.  With the remodel, people from work and the neighborhood have assisted with moving items at my house, picking up the remodelling garbage, and fixing my fence.  This has been a great help because I have learned I just can't due what I used to at the speed and effort I used to do it!!!

My wife, Nicole, and my girls, Mariah, Ally, Cassy, and Chelsea, have been very helpful through the remodel.  We have lived in a single room, we have lived without being able to find clothes, we have lost homework, and we have lived in rooms without carpet, but through it all, the girls have been awesome!!!  And Nicole has taken care of all the little things to keep the job moving and getting us to where we want to be - HAPPY!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When People Think You Are Dying

I received an interesting email from a friend this week.  It said he had heard I had relapsed and he wanted to get together and go to lunch.  I was really appreciative of the invitation but started to wonder why he thought I had relapsed.  I spoke with this friend who told me that he heard through someone else that I was "terminal" and that I only had a few months to live.  He also told me that this message had been received by many in an announcement made at a meeting.  I was a little shocked!  First that someone heard I was dying and second that I mattered enough to have it announced!  I assured my friend that I was doing just fine and that I was not "dying".  I told him that I had no new re-occurrence of melanoma and that my treatments were going just fine.  This made me start to think about life in general and how we communicate! In regards to communication, I learned how this information was obtained.  It was taken out of context by another friend.  It is ama

Tired and stomach bothering me a little

So,  Nicole and I are in the middle of remodeling the house.  I go to work all day and come home and do work on the house to get ahead of the remodelers.  All weekend it is nothing but working on the house.  We are getting down to the end but we are also getting to the hardest part of the job.  The girls were gone all week and that made it nice with the house being torn apart.  Now that they are back, we have no rooms done for them.  We are all staying in our bedroom downstairs.  We put one bed in the room for the girls.  Problem is, that is the next room to get done.  We won't get carpet, most likely, until next week, so we are trying to figure out what to do.  My sister, Kim, offered her trailer and my brother, Justin, would most likely let us come stay at his house for a couple of days.  What to do!  What to do! Lately, probably from not stopping, I have gotten tired real easy.  I am used to pushing myself and working to exhaustion, but that simply isn't going to happen ri

What We're Doing at Home

We have been really busy since our Christmas present trip to Disneyland!   We had planned to remodel the kitchen prior to the trip but ut it off until after the trip. My brother, Justin and I took a week off work to get at much done as possible.   We got most of the demolition done and framing in that week.  We have been working the last two weeks after work to finish all the detail work. We are currently waiting for the cabinets to be installed so we can install appliances and use the kitchen once again! It's been a tough job but very fulfilling.   My brother Justin has been a great help!  Thanks Justin!