Skip to main content

Scans - Long day but Information is Vital!

This past week was the first scans since the clinical trial and treatment began.  These scans are important because they would tell Nicole and I if I was still cancer free.  Nicole and I left to go up to Huntsman.  To say the least, I was nervous.  I feel pretty good and feel like I am doing well but the scans would be key to letting us know that I indeed was still cancer free. 

On the way to Huntsman I met a real nice Salt Lake PD motor officer, Officer Whitaker.  Apparently the speed limit on the off ramp to Foothill Drive reduces to 45 mph and then reduces again to 40 mph.  Apparently I was not paying real close attention, my mind must have been on something else, and I was not paying attention to how fast I was going.  I will be paying some money to be used by Salt Lake City.

I still made it to Huntsman.  I could not eat or drink anything prior to scans except for the wonderful contrast that I have to take two hours prior to the scans.  YUM!!!  I did the normal stop at the lab to have blood drawn and an IV started.  They take about 8 different vials of blood.  Some are for comparison and others are for the study.  Everything went well with the labs though it took a litte time to get the IV started, again!

After the labs, Nicole and I went to Radiology to check in.  I was getting a CT scan of my neck, chest, and pelvis and a MRI of my brain.  We went up the elevator to the 6th floor, from the 2nd floor, to go back down the the 3rd floor.  Sounds like we got lost but there are elevators just outside the lab.  Unfortunately, you can not get off on the 3rd floor from that elevator to get to Radiology.  You have to go to the 6th floor and cross the sky bridge to a different set of elevators to get to the 3rd floor.  We we got to the second set of elevators, Nicole's friend from work, Ann, was there.  Ann was there getting a check-up on her "possible" cancer diagnosis.  Ann had good news, she was not diagnosised with cancer and she was still clear.  YEAH!!  My wife, so convinced that I was ok, decided to have lunch with Ann.  Remember, I am "fasting" for these scans. 

I went down and checked in for the scans.  Great thing about the scans, I have to fill out about 4 different forms for the scans.  Love it!!!  I filled out the forms and waited for my turn.  I was taken back for the CT scans rather quickly.  The nice thing was that I didn't have to change into the hospital attire for the CT scan.  The CT scan went very quickly.  I am surprised how fast those CT scans are and how useful the information is as a result!!!  Funny note - I don't care how many times they give you the contrast for the CT scan, and  you know what is going to happen, you still don't get used to it.  For those who have not had the pleasure, when they give you the contrast through the IV, it takes a second and then you face starts to warm and it runs down to your pelvic area.  Everything warms up and it feels like you wet your pants.  The sad and funny part is you really aren't sure if maybe you did wet your pants as a result!!!

After the scans I went back to the waiting room to wait for the MRI.  It took a little time but finally they called me back.  This time I did have to change into the hospital attire.  I went back to have the brain MRI.  The technician told me it would take about 30 minutes for the scan.  I jokingly asked him how it could take that line with my "small" brain.  He laughed and said maybe it would take 35 minutes!

Have you seen the IHC commercials on TV that talk about cancer treatment offered by IHC?  Have you noticed how in both commercials the actor playing the patient has that "lost" look on their face as they are preparing for the scan?  That is because that is exactly how it feels!!!  Even though you know what the scan entails, you still don't know what will be the result.  Basically, you are not thinking about the mechanics of the scan but what will be the result.

I layed down on the machine and lucky for me, because it was a brain MRI, I have to have this "cage" locked over my head.  The nice thing is they but on headphones and let you listen to music.  The nice thing is the level of the music drowns out the noise of the MRI machine.  The technician started the scan.  The hardest thing about the scan is trying to stay awake for the scan.  For some reason, they get a little picky if you fall asleep.  I don't remember if the technician told me how long the first scan would be but it just kept going and going.  Nice thing was, the music was nice and the time went very fast.

After the first scan, the technician told me he would be coming in to give me contrast and then the last scan would take about 7 minutes.  I could hear this because he says it over a microphone and through the headphones.   When he came into the room however, the music was so loud that I could not hear him. I know he was telling me stuff but I could not hear him.  I also was unable to move the headphones because the cage that was locked over my head.  I think the technician finally realized I could not hear him by the end however!

The scan finished and I could finally get something to eat.  We had about an hour before the doctor's appointment.  I had a real nice lunch and then we headed to the Clinic C for the appointment.  We were right on schedule when we arrived for the doctor's appointment.  We were placed in the room to wait for the doctor and waited.  The doctor was WAY behing so we waited about an hour and half to see the doctor.  The wait was worth it when the doctor came in and told us the scans were clear!!!  As my wife put it, we could breath again!!!

The doctor also talked about the reaction to the last infusion and what he wanted to do next time to prevent it.  My wife had told his nurse that I would not let him give me benadryl again!   Dr. Grossman asked me about my reaction to benadryl and then told me he wanted to still give me benadryl.  Dr. Grossman said it might be possible to give me a pill instead of through the IV which would make the effects not hit me all at once.  I guess I can hack the reaction if I know it will only be once every three months.

Dr. Grossman also conducted his usually body checks and told me that because of the reaction I have been unofficially "unblinded"!!! Dr. Grossman, who doesn't know for sure, said that the reaction would not have happened if I was getting "sugar" (placebo)!!

I think the medicine however is causing some issues for me.  I can't be for sure but I know I don't feel completely "normal" (whatever that is for me!).  Since the scans, I have had less of the feeling of nausea but I have had really bad heartburn.  Last night I woke up because it felt like someone was squeezing my heart and it would not go away.  I have thought before how someone passes away in their bed from something like a heart attack without someone noticing.  I guess I always thought someone would be thrashing around or yelling for help.  Last night, I figured out how.  I laid there in pain and did not move or make a sound.  I didn't want to bother my wife so finally I got out of bed and found something to take to that stopped the heartburn.  All day today though I have had a lot of acid.  My wife, three times this week, has made me a "green" smoothie, which normally I drink with no problems.  All three times this week it has made me sick and really increased the acid feeling. 

I went to church today feeling miserable.  After church, we got home and Nicole had made her fantastic potatoe and hamburger crock pot meal.  I was able to eat some of that and it really made me feel better.  Though I really don't like eating some times, eating the right thing does make a difference!!

That is the latest update.  My next infusion and scans are in September!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When People Think You Are Dying

I received an interesting email from a friend this week.  It said he had heard I had relapsed and he wanted to get together and go to lunch.  I was really appreciative of the invitation but started to wonder why he thought I had relapsed.  I spoke with this friend who told me that he heard through someone else that I was "terminal" and that I only had a few months to live.  He also told me that this message had been received by many in an announcement made at a meeting.  I was a little shocked!  First that someone heard I was dying and second that I mattered enough to have it announced!  I assured my friend that I was doing just fine and that I was not "dying".  I told him that I had no new re-occurrence of melanoma and that my treatments were going just fine.  This made me start to think about life in general and how we communicate! In regards to communication, I learned how this information was obtained.  It was taken out of context by another friend.  It is ama

What We're Doing at Home

We have been really busy since our Christmas present trip to Disneyland!   We had planned to remodel the kitchen prior to the trip but ut it off until after the trip. My brother, Justin and I took a week off work to get at much done as possible.   We got most of the demolition done and framing in that week.  We have been working the last two weeks after work to finish all the detail work. We are currently waiting for the cabinets to be installed so we can install appliances and use the kitchen once again! It's been a tough job but very fulfilling.   My brother Justin has been a great help!  Thanks Justin!

Tired and stomach bothering me a little

So,  Nicole and I are in the middle of remodeling the house.  I go to work all day and come home and do work on the house to get ahead of the remodelers.  All weekend it is nothing but working on the house.  We are getting down to the end but we are also getting to the hardest part of the job.  The girls were gone all week and that made it nice with the house being torn apart.  Now that they are back, we have no rooms done for them.  We are all staying in our bedroom downstairs.  We put one bed in the room for the girls.  Problem is, that is the next room to get done.  We won't get carpet, most likely, until next week, so we are trying to figure out what to do.  My sister, Kim, offered her trailer and my brother, Justin, would most likely let us come stay at his house for a couple of days.  What to do!  What to do! Lately, probably from not stopping, I have gotten tired real easy.  I am used to pushing myself and working to exhaustion, but that simply isn't going to happen ri