Skip to main content

To catch everyone up!!!

In 2003, I found a mole just above my hairline above my right eye.  It was removed and found to be melanoma.  I went to a surgical oncologist, Dr. Dirk Noyes, and had skin and tissue removed from the site as well as a sentinel node biopsy.  Three lymph nodes were removed.  Two from below my right ear and one near my right clavicle.  The test from those returned clear of cancer.  It was determined at that time that I would not have any additional treatment and would simply be monitored and observed.  I found a dermatologist, Dr. Ray Peterson, who I would see on a regular basis.  In those visits, my skin would be checked for any "suspicious" moles. 

In 2007, during my check-up, my wife asked Dr. Peterson to removed a "spot" from my nose.  Though Dr. Peterson thought it was nothing, it was found to be squamous cell carcinoma.  A "Mohs" procedure was done and no other treatment.

In January 2010, I found a small lump under my right ear in the same location where the lymph nodes were removed.  The lump was the size of about a pea.  A week later, an MRI showed the lump was now the size of a peanut m&m (my favorite m&m's by the way).  The lump was sitting on top of the parotid gland.  Three days later, when the lump was removed, it was the size of a cinnamon bear.  The lump was screened and found to be melanoma.  I was referred again to Dr. Noyes.  Dr. Noyes took out the parotid gland, 15 lymph nodes, skin, and tissue from the right side of my face and neck.  After screening, again it was found I had no other signs of cancer.  The screening included a PET/CT scan which also found no other signs of cancer cells. 

Dr. Noyes referred me to Dr. Grossman at the Huntsman Cancer Institute for treatment options.   I had been told early on in the process that I may have to start chemotherapy.  My wife and I studied, read, research, and asked about Interferon.  Dr. Grossman talked to us about our options.  They included Interferon, a clinical trial of a new medication, or doing what we did last time and just monitoring my body and skin.

Dr. Grossman told me his job was to keep me from getting melanoma again and saving my life.  I was grateful for that statement. 

My wife and I learned that Interferon is the only FDA approved chemotherapy treatment for melanoma.  It consists of a year's worth of treatment.  The first month I would receive infusions 5 days a week for a month.  After the first month, I would get injections three times a week for 11 months.  We learned that Interferon is very toxic to the body and has very serious side effects.  Prior to talking to Dr. Grossman, my wife and I were not convinced chemotherapy was our best option.  Dr. Grossman talked to us about the process.  While speak to us, Dr. Grossman said, "If I thought chemotherapy would save your life, I would tell you to start today!  But I can't tell you that today." 

Dr. Grossman told me that observation was a very real treatment option.  I told him I agreed.  I told him that it had worked the first time.  I told Dr. Grossman that I was not under the belief that I was never going to get melanoma again. In fact, I told Dr. Grossman I believed it would come back.  I told Dr. Grossman that I had learned that early detection was the number one factor for having the best outcome.  I asked Dr. Grossman what I should be doing to assist in early detection.  I told Dr. Grossman that simply "looking" for new moles was not the answer.  Dr. Grossman agreed and said that I would need to do scans every three months along with some blood work.

Dr. Grossman then told me about the clinical trial I most likely qualified to participate in.  Though the trial was a double blind trial, I was confident that it was a very good option.  If I qualify for the trial, the scans and blood work would be part of the trial.  If I did not, then Dr. Grossman would make sure those were done.  The thing I liked the best was that Dr. Grossman told me that it would be my decision and he would support me whatever I decided to do, be it chemo, the trial, or observation.  Dr. Grossman said the one thing we had not done was to make sure there was no cancer in my brain.  Dr. Grossman ordered a brain MRI and some blood work.  I am awaiting the results of the MRI and whether I qualify for the trial.  The only question on the trial is about what stage melanoma I have.  In 2003, I was told I had stage 3 melanoma.  In this round, the melanoma was not a mole.  The pathologist said the tumor was not in the lymph system.  Dr. Noyes believes the tumor had to be in a lymph node.  If the tumor was in the node, then I have stage 3 melanoma again.  The trial requires stage 3 melanoma.  I am awaiting another pathogist decision.

Though the recent surgery turned out not to be as "radical" as I first thought, it has caused some paralysis on the right side of my face.  My right eye doesn't blink or close normally (though it is getting better) and the right side of my mouth and face don't work correctly.  It makes it tough to eat and drink.  I am learning to adjust!!!

I really was impressed by Huntsman Cancer Institute.  I was impressed from the moment I walked through the door.  It was obvious to me that everyone who works there is geared to taking very good care of people affected by cancer.  They are very aware that everyone that walks through the door is affected by cancer, either because they have it or the person they are with has it.  It can be a very depressing place as well.  I learned quickly that at this time, I am pretty healthy compared to others that I saw there.  I saw some very sick people!!!! 

One thing that is different for me is that I never considered myself a cancer "survivor".  People would say that to me after my first bout and I felt very uncomfortable about that "label".  I believe it was because all I had was surgery.  I did not experience what others who had battled cancer had experienced.  Though I have only had surgery at this point, I do feel differently this time.  I am very aware now that I am in a "battle" for my life and in a "battle" against cancer!!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When People Think You Are Dying

I received an interesting email from a friend this week.  It said he had heard I had relapsed and he wanted to get together and go to lunch.  I was really appreciative of the invitation but started to wonder why he thought I had relapsed.  I spoke with this friend who told me that he heard through someone else that I was "terminal" and that I only had a few months to live.  He also told me that this message had been received by many in an announcement made at a meeting.  I was a little shocked!  First that someone heard I was dying and second that I mattered enough to have it announced!  I assured my friend that I was doing just fine and that I was not "dying".  I told him that I had no new re-occurrence of melanoma and that my treatments were going just fine.  This made me start to think about life in general and how we communicate! In regards to communication, I learned how this information was obtained.  It was taken out of context by another friend.  It is ama

What We're Doing at Home

We have been really busy since our Christmas present trip to Disneyland!   We had planned to remodel the kitchen prior to the trip but ut it off until after the trip. My brother, Justin and I took a week off work to get at much done as possible.   We got most of the demolition done and framing in that week.  We have been working the last two weeks after work to finish all the detail work. We are currently waiting for the cabinets to be installed so we can install appliances and use the kitchen once again! It's been a tough job but very fulfilling.   My brother Justin has been a great help!  Thanks Justin!

Tired and stomach bothering me a little

So,  Nicole and I are in the middle of remodeling the house.  I go to work all day and come home and do work on the house to get ahead of the remodelers.  All weekend it is nothing but working on the house.  We are getting down to the end but we are also getting to the hardest part of the job.  The girls were gone all week and that made it nice with the house being torn apart.  Now that they are back, we have no rooms done for them.  We are all staying in our bedroom downstairs.  We put one bed in the room for the girls.  Problem is, that is the next room to get done.  We won't get carpet, most likely, until next week, so we are trying to figure out what to do.  My sister, Kim, offered her trailer and my brother, Justin, would most likely let us come stay at his house for a couple of days.  What to do!  What to do! Lately, probably from not stopping, I have gotten tired real easy.  I am used to pushing myself and working to exhaustion, but that simply isn't going to happen ri