Skip to main content

Wow I Hurt! Some of the Side Effects!

Since my last infusion, I have noticed changes a lot earlier in this round than normal.  I usually notice "issues" near the end of the treatment cycle.  I have noticed more and more that I am forgetful.  I have trouble remembering names and every once in a while I forget what I am talking about.  It could be just my age as well as the drug.

I have been playing basketball twice a week to stay in shape and to stay active.  I have been doing this for over a year.  Just in about the last month, I noticed that I get very sore especially after sitting for more that about 30 minutes.  I wake up in the morning and my joints are very sore.  My back will be stiff, my shoulders will be sore, and by hips, knees, and ankles will be very sore.  It makes it difficult at times to simply walk.  Walking up and down the stairs is also very difficult.  I have noticed that places that I have previously injured are also more sore than usual.  I have also noticed that when I sit and put my arms over my head, my feet will go numb and my hands will go numb.  Sometimes, if I put too much pressure on my arms or legs, they will go numb or "go to sleep".

I know that I am in a fight.  I also know that my daughters know when I struggle.  They don't say anything but I know it is "taxing" on them.  I also know that I am showing them that there are two ways to look at things.  You can look at things as a punishment or simply as a challenge.  You can choose to sit back and let the punishment lead you or you can hit the challenge head on and fight.  I have said all along that I was not going to lay down and let this define me.  I have been hit twice and I will fight until this war is won.  It may not be "won" the way many think but I know that I am teaching my girls how to fight and win!

I have yet to find any where that Life is suppose to be Fair.  The World has decided some how that everything is be fair.  I also believe that people have warped the definition of fair.  No where in the definition does fair does it say equal.  The Gospel does not promote the idea of everyone being equal.  Yes we were all created equal but Life is not equal.  If it was designed to be, then everyone would make the same amount of money, live in the same size house, drive the same number of cars, and go through the same challenges.  That is not how Life is.  My challenges are my own and the way I choose to handle those however I see fit.  I have decided that though my challenges seem tough, I can not judge others as being less than mine.

I hope that the way I handle my challenges sets the example to my girls letting them know how to fight and how to handle challenges with dignity.  Challenges don't have to define you and don't have to stop you from fully enjoying your life.  Challenges can be those things that bring meaning to your life and ultimately the happiness you are looking to have in your life.  I know that my challenges are a way for me to test my strength, heart, mental toughness, and my strength of Spirit.

How I love my life!  How I love my wife and 4 beautiful girls!!!  Life is great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When People Think You Are Dying

I received an interesting email from a friend this week.  It said he had heard I had relapsed and he wanted to get together and go to lunch.  I was really appreciative of the invitation but started to wonder why he thought I had relapsed.  I spoke with this friend who told me that he heard through someone else that I was "terminal" and that I only had a few months to live.  He also told me that this message had been received by many in an announcement made at a meeting.  I was a little shocked!  First that someone heard I was dying and second that I mattered enough to have it announced!  I assured my friend that I was doing just fine and that I was not "dying".  I told him that I had no new re-occurrence of melanoma and that my treatments were going just fine.  This made me start to think about life in general and how we communicate! In regards to communication, I learned how this information was obtained.  It was taken out of context by another friend.  It is ama

Tired and stomach bothering me a little

So,  Nicole and I are in the middle of remodeling the house.  I go to work all day and come home and do work on the house to get ahead of the remodelers.  All weekend it is nothing but working on the house.  We are getting down to the end but we are also getting to the hardest part of the job.  The girls were gone all week and that made it nice with the house being torn apart.  Now that they are back, we have no rooms done for them.  We are all staying in our bedroom downstairs.  We put one bed in the room for the girls.  Problem is, that is the next room to get done.  We won't get carpet, most likely, until next week, so we are trying to figure out what to do.  My sister, Kim, offered her trailer and my brother, Justin, would most likely let us come stay at his house for a couple of days.  What to do!  What to do! Lately, probably from not stopping, I have gotten tired real easy.  I am used to pushing myself and working to exhaustion, but that simply isn't going to happen ri

To Catch Everyone Up

Well, I have been a slacker and have not updated the blog in a few months.  For that I apologize.  Thanks to all of you who care enough to follow my story as I fight this battle in my life! During the summer, I began to have trouble sleeping at night.  Nicole told me I was waking up all the time, similar to someone who has sleep apnia.  I was tired all the time and it was really starting to interfere with every day activities.  Also, during my initial scans for the new diagnosis of melanoma, we knew that I had a deviated septum.  We knew at some point I would need surgery to clear that up.  We spoke to the doctor about the issue he advised that we should have surgery between treatments.  After the last infusion, we went to see Dr. Seth Riddle and decided that most of my breathing problems could be solved with surgery to correct my deviated septum. The surgery was on October 19th.  I went into surgery and remember getting my favorite drug, Versed, and then getting on the OR table bu