Skip to main content

This treatment I felt like a pin cushion!

It's been about a week since I completed my latest round of treatment. Of course I went up on Thursday for blood draws and CT scans. About three weeks ago, I was at UVRMC getting an MRI of my back. During the last three months, I have experienced pain in my hip especially if I sit down for more than about a half hour. The pain will radiate down my right leg. Nicole spoke with Dr. Reichman about it and he wanted the MRI.

So, I tell this because I was given contrast during that MRI and had to have an IV started. When I went to HCI on Thursday, I went to the lab to get my blood draw. Normally, to prevent getting "stuck" multiple times, the lab will leave the IV in until I come back on Friday and get the infusion. After leaving the lab, I went to CT. In CT, I was told the IV I had would not work because it was in my hand and the test that was ordered required a larger needle and the IV to be above my elbow. Unfortunately, the tech missed the first IV, in my left arm, but was able to get the second in my right arm. The problem with it being in my right arm above the elbow is it hurts if I leave it in. So, I had to have it removed. I was feeling like a giant pin cushion.

On Friday, the good news was that the scans were all clear!!! It has been now about a year and a half with clear scans!!! As my wife posted on Facebook, "My scans are clear. I'm living!" My wife and both felt that Dr. Grossman was much better at being concerned with us and less about the disease. Nicole asked him if the fact that the trial drug had been approved had any impact on my treatment.  Dr. Grossman said that because "Yervoy" was only FDA approved for stage 4 melanoma patients, it would not stop my trial or impact it in any way.  Nicole also asked him what happens at the end of three years as well as what happens if I got melanoma again during the trial.  Dr. Grossman said if I did get melanoma again during the trial or a short time after the end of the trial, they would probably try to get me "unblinded" because if I was getting the drug it would effect what the next treatment step would be.  In regards to after the trial, Dr. Grossman said if my scans stayed clear throughout the trial, he would suggest going to once a year scans.

Nicole asked if we should get the girls genetically tested for the "melanoma gene" and both him and Dr. Noyes (who I say a week after treatment) both said no.  

Dr. Grossman, who had not seen my hives, saw a picture and said it was possible the hives were a reaction to the drug so I needed to watch for that after receiving the next dose.

After speaking to the doctor, we went to the infusion suite.  I checked in and got comfortable in the infusion chair.  The nurse came over to start the IV.  Of course, she missed the first one in my  left hand.  She not only missed but it hurt really bad.  Luckily she got the second one okay and I was saved but it did not stop the feeling that I felt like a giant pin cushion!

When the nurse came over to give me the benadryl, I reminded her that it burned if pushed fast so she was great and pushed the benadryl nice and slow.  This time it didn't bother me as much as usual.  The treatment went very well.  It did feel like we were at HCI all day ( we got there at 9:30 am and left at 4 pm).  Like usually, I was worn out after treatment.

About two weeks before treatment, I noticed that my joints were feeling very stiff ( a known side effect of the drug).  I noticed it the most in my knuckles, knees, hips and ankles.  I made the comment to Nicole that it is always just before the next infusion that I usually start noticing different difficulties.  On Saturday, instead of being very tired, I was very "achy".  I have never felt like that until this treatment.  The other interesting part was that I noticed right after treatment!  I was "achy" for about two days.  

Again, I count myself very lucky!  There are so many people spending time at HCI that are much sicker than myself.  I always count my blessings that though I have had cancer twice, I have been able to catch it quick, fight it and stay doing what I do best - loving life!

Comments

  1. Craig, thanks for posting. You NEVER complain. We're happy you update your blog. We send our love and continued prayers.

    Hey, you have a birthday coming right up--and Cassy's is today! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When People Think You Are Dying

I received an interesting email from a friend this week.  It said he had heard I had relapsed and he wanted to get together and go to lunch.  I was really appreciative of the invitation but started to wonder why he thought I had relapsed.  I spoke with this friend who told me that he heard through someone else that I was "terminal" and that I only had a few months to live.  He also told me that this message had been received by many in an announcement made at a meeting.  I was a little shocked!  First that someone heard I was dying and second that I mattered enough to have it announced!  I assured my friend that I was doing just fine and that I was not "dying".  I told him that I had no new re-occurrence of melanoma and that my treatments were going just fine.  This made me start to think about life in general and how we communicate! In regards to communication, I learned how this information was obtained.  It was taken out of context by another friend.  It is ama

Tired and stomach bothering me a little

So,  Nicole and I are in the middle of remodeling the house.  I go to work all day and come home and do work on the house to get ahead of the remodelers.  All weekend it is nothing but working on the house.  We are getting down to the end but we are also getting to the hardest part of the job.  The girls were gone all week and that made it nice with the house being torn apart.  Now that they are back, we have no rooms done for them.  We are all staying in our bedroom downstairs.  We put one bed in the room for the girls.  Problem is, that is the next room to get done.  We won't get carpet, most likely, until next week, so we are trying to figure out what to do.  My sister, Kim, offered her trailer and my brother, Justin, would most likely let us come stay at his house for a couple of days.  What to do!  What to do! Lately, probably from not stopping, I have gotten tired real easy.  I am used to pushing myself and working to exhaustion, but that simply isn't going to happen ri

What We're Doing at Home

We have been really busy since our Christmas present trip to Disneyland!   We had planned to remodel the kitchen prior to the trip but ut it off until after the trip. My brother, Justin and I took a week off work to get at much done as possible.   We got most of the demolition done and framing in that week.  We have been working the last two weeks after work to finish all the detail work. We are currently waiting for the cabinets to be installed so we can install appliances and use the kitchen once again! It's been a tough job but very fulfilling.   My brother Justin has been a great help!  Thanks Justin!